Friday, November 24, 2006

The Blahs

Everyone seems to be suffering from a case of the blahs lately.

Almost every blog I visit seems to be filled with words about lack of motivation and slacking on the running front.

Which I suppose is good in some small way, because it makes me feel less guilty about the fact that I am doing the same.

I'm still trying to come up with the perfect training plan, with no luck so far.

I'm a slow runner, so I really don't like the idea of running by time instead of miles. Run 30 min... etc, etc. I can't even run 3 miles in 30 minutes. I'm afraid I would end up losing out on the long runs. So, I've basically eliminated those as options.

And I'm a pretty simple runner.... put on the shoes and go until I can't go any more or until I've reached the scheduled mileage for the day. I'm really not up to trying to figure out what a tempo run, and race pace run, etc would be for me. My goal is to not die half way through the race. I don't have a pace other than keep moving the best I can. So, I've ruled out all the complicated training schedules.

Which pretty much leaves me with the basic run so many miles on such and such a day. But then those schedules never end up meshing with my work schedule and I end up changing them all around. Plus I seem to fall some where in between the beginner and intermediate level, with one being too easy and the other running too many days to fit in my crazy life.

I seem to end up using some put together training schedule that I make up on my own based on my work and life schedule. It is often a combination of several different training schedules, and it seems to work with my life and my ability level. But then, I certainly am not an expert, and really don't know what I am doing. So I wonder if I should really be doing this? Is it going to help me ever get better? Then again, do I even care?

And to top it all off, I'm sick. Happy Thanksgiving to me. I'm not surprised. I get sick every year for either Thanksgiving or Christmas. And of course I had a wonderful fun filled weekend planned, and now I think I'm going to be spending it on the couch with a kleenex attached to the faucet that used to be my nose.

*Sigh*

16 comments:

  1. Hey, feel better. I am pretty much with you on "race pace," and the like, I don't really have "race pace." I just want to finish and survive:-)

    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started running nine months ago, and I also run without big strategy, except for some basics dictated by common sense. Entries on other blogs with precise indications as to splits, pace, schedules tend to intimidate me - it seems as if I know nothing about running. Which is pretty much true. But that does not stop me from running, and I reassure myself it's okay. Perhaps in time I will learn to plan, perhaps not.
    There are many ways to the same goal. The only good one for you is yours. Just ...get well :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. dude. we're in the exact same place with the whole running thing and the training mentality. I don't even know where to begin with everything. Just lace up and run. But do I push harder? How hard is too hard? Novice or intermediate? It's a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you feel better soon. I hear you about the whole pacing bit! My goal yesterday was to just finish and not be the last one to cross that finish line!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to feel better soon. Enjoy the running now. Training can come later. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better soon! Yeah..you're right about lack of motivation--maybe it's the time of year...Let us know if you find your catalyst.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All you need to know about running is to put one foot in front of the other and enjoy the experience. Looks like, from reading the other comments, there are a lot of peas in this pod.

    If you always get sick for either T-Day or Xmas, then you're gonna feel great on the 25th.

    Always looking on the bright side,

    Pat
    Arizona, USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know I'm kind of the same way which is why I run with a running group - they do the thinking for me and I just show up and run with a pace leader I can keep up with and hope for the best.
    Happy belated turkey day and hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just thinking about the same stuff as I was running on Saturday. Due to my crazy schedule, I intend to follow a specific training plan, then always seem to do my own thing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. girl i totally feel ya! i too am sick, am about to move cross country and have a half scheduled in the beginning of feb. bah!!! way too much to handle! but you will figure it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe you should curl up with a good movie and just vege out a for a few days. Feel better babe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm a "simple" runner as well, and am clueless about tempo runs, etc. I just do the best I can. Of course, now that I own a Garmin, I will need to become more savvy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you feel better soon!! I don't know about all that pacing and such yet either! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you feel better...I always try to tell myself that I do this first for fun, so that I don't ever make it feel like a chore. Good luck on getting a schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Runnergirl!

    I hope you're feeling better by now and are up on your feet! =) I think when the cold temperature is out everyone is suffering from the blahs... but we gotta stay strong! It's only the beginning!!! :P

    Happy Running =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hope you feel better soon. I do agree about blogworld but it's between seasons. Watch out Jan1 -things will really heat up.

    ReplyDelete