Thursday, January 4, 2007

Warped Sense of Reality

I was talking to the boyfriend last night and told him the big announcement.

I explained to him that I was ready to start running again. I told him how I had been missing it, and wanted to get back to it. I said how much happier I feel when I am running, and I just feel like a better person.

Then I said that I was going to do something small because I'm not ready to commit to another marathon just now. I can just feel that deep down I'm not ready yet and I'd rather wait it out than commit too early and be unsuccessful a second time.

So, then he asked me what I was going to run. And I told him that I had signed up for the Bayshore half.

And his response was basically.. "A half marathon?!?! You're going to run another half marathon?"

I guess we have different ideas of what constitutes a small race. I think he was expecting me to tell him that I signed up for a 5K.

We runners have a warped sense of reality!

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're continuing to run. I just starting to run a few months ago. I found your website the other day and saw you talking about running 8 miles and how suprised you were that you did it. I can relate. I was suprised when I could run 2 miles.

    Now I'm hoping to one day run 8 miles and have to explain that I'm not crazy. My goal is to run a marathon in two years with smaller 5k, 10k and half marathon goals in between.

    Rock on runner! Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh honey...once you start training with the 26.2 in your mind...EVERY race seems small...

    I agree...a half is indeed a small race. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, we runners really do have a warped sense!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We do have a warped sense. I have only been five miles and I say "only" but you tell most people that and they fall off of their chair. It's too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You will ROCK the half. It will be SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good to hear your getting back into the saddle. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL! I can relate. People keep asking me if I'm still running and I tell them, "oh, I'm just running the Houston 1/2 this time"..and they're like "ONLY???". Only my hubby thinks it's no big deal. After hearing me talk about the 12, 15, 18, & 20 milers, he gets it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me, 13.1 is the pinnacle right now, lol.

    Interesting how experience changes your perception.

    Wishing you healthy training. GL GL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you babe! My family says the same shit tome, especially after my knee surgery. Crazy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to here you are back. Best of luck with training.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh, you need to start leaving ultra marathon pamphlets laying around. After he reads about a 50 miler, a half won't seem so long to him.

    Pat
    Arizona, USA

    ReplyDelete