Sunday, February 16, 2020

It's About Damn Time!

Today is a day 14 years in the making.

The proudest moment in my life was May 6, 2006 when I crossed the finish line of the Indianapolis Half Marathon. Not when I graduated from college. Not when I got accepted into optometry school. Not when I passed my board exams. Not when I got my Doctor of Optometry license. But when I crossed that freaking finish line.

Why?

Because training to run that half marathon was the hardest thing I have ever done. In. My. Entire. Life.

I’m sitting here with tears streaming down my face as I remember the feeling of that accomplishment. As I remember what it felt like to have just ran 13.1 miles. As I remember how strong and powerful I felt. As I remember how proud I was of myself.

I drew strength from that accomplishment for quite a while. But sadly, that source of strength eventually diminished until it almost became more a source of shame. Shame because I had to stop running due to an injury. Shame because I never accomplished my ultimate goal of completing a full marathon. Shame because I felt like a quitter.

BUT NOT ANY MORE.

Today is the day that I reclaim that sense of accomplishment. Today is the day that I remind myself that I am strong. I am powerful. I am capable. I can do hard things. Today. Yes, today is the day that I remind myself that I am a mother fucking bad ass!

Because once upon a time I RAN 13.1 FREAKING MILES!

And that’s a big deal.



No comments:

Post a Comment