Thursday, October 26, 2006

Invasion of the RBF

Firefly is one of the most diligent RBFers when it comes to reading and comment on others blogs. Rarely a post goes by where she doesn't leave me a comment, and it is very unusual to not see her name among the top of the comment list on every blog I read. She is great at motivating everyone else and she rocks.

Recently, she left this comment on my blog. Here's the part pertaining to the topic of this post...

"As I am going this crazy ankle incident, my mind freaked and thought of what you went through with your ankle stuff. This gives me the strength to stay off of my feet and listen to doc's orders."

and I felt honored and surprised that she actually thought of me in her "real life", outside of reading my blog.

But it shouldn't be surprising because many members of the RBF have invaded my life. Not just my running life, but my "life" life.

But I wasn't aware of just how much until just a few short nights ago.

I actually had a dream that Mouse and I were on our way to a race, and got a flat tire just as we were about to pull into the parking lot. We could see the runners heading toward the starting line and knew the race was about to start so we just left the car where it was and took off toward the start.

I've never even met her! And I'm dreaming about being late to the start of a race with her.

I have no explanation where the dream came from, but I do love her. She, more than any other, gives me hope. She once wrote a post stating that running 10 miles was no longer hard for her. And as a concept I get that, because running one, or maybe two miles, is no longer hard for me.

But 10? I live for the day!

And because of her I believe it is possible.

It's insane I tell you. This invasion of the RBF.

And she's not the only one. There are so many more.....

One of the first, and still a favorite is, little miss runner pants. She makes me laugh, and has, on occasion, made me cry, reading about her crazy antics and her never ending determination. And I find myself looking forward to her next post about her crazy weekend or her excitement over her newest bike accessory.

Another of the first was Trizilla, who is among the most inspiring! This girl never gives up, no matter what the challenge facing her, and her ability to write a race report makes you feel like you were on the course with her every step of the way. When I am having a tough run, she sometimes pops into my mind and helps me grit my teeth and get through it.

Mike and Lisa hold a special place in my heart because they remind me of home, and through them I get to hear about my old haunts. And also because I have so much enjoyed following along with them on their training adventures for the Chicago Marathon. I look forward to eventually getting my butt back home for a race and actually getting to meet them.

Liv is just plain awesome, and hysterical to boot. She has an energy that is contagious. And she gets my sense of humor. I mean, she got my toilet paper joke in the middle of my pity party. And because of a post of hers about an awesome running poster she bought, I now own the same one. (Sorry, Liv, I'm a copy cat - but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, as they say.)

Jess keeps me smiling with tales of running with her adorable dog, Scooter. And makes me miss having a dog, and think about getting another one.

And then there is Running Jayhawk. Where do I even begin? I'd think we were long lost twins separated at birth, except I'm 7 years older than she is, almost to the day. She shares my love of carrot cake, she runs the same pace as I do, and many of her posts ring so true to me, that I could have written them myself. Not being able to meet her was one of my main disappointments about not being able to run the Chicago Marathon.

There as so, so many more.... Jelly, Yumke, Sunshine, Running Rabbit, Tara, Sonia, Nicole, Running by, OOSG, teacherwoman, just to name a few. It would take me all night to list everyone.

So, I just wanted to send a huge hug and a big thanks out to each and every one of you. You have more of an impact than you could possibly realize.

17 comments:

  1. I hope you know that the last line of your post also applies to you Runnergirl. I always appreciate your comments and while I don't reciprocate often, know that your observations and your style of writing keeps me coming back for more; and more than once I've thought "get out of my head"...though absolutely in a nice way.

    A big hug for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And thanks to you for cheering us on from the virtual sidelines. I know a lot of us were thinking of you at some point during our marathon weekend..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am all the time telling stories about my friend so and so that ran this race, tried this gu, likes these shoes, is on vacation, husband got deployed...
    I have never met any of these people, but they keep me going. I have gotten so much great advice, a pat on the back when I finish a long run and encouragement when the runs don't go so great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're just as well welcome for all the support you've provided me and to a lot of other runners too!

    I'm thinking about doing Chicago next year, you guys got me all excited! And it's only 5h drive from here! I hope to see you there! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. (((((Runner Girl))) I am SO honored to at the top of the blog today. That's totally awesome. The RBF is so AWESOME...and come to your aid when you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, thanks! I feel like a celebrity for being mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so true. Barb and I were just talking about what you call the invasion at dinner tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I, too, have thought we were long lost twins separated by a handful of years.

    It's nuts. NUTS I TELL YOU. I'm not gunna lie...I was devastated when I learned you weren't going to be able to run Chicago...seriously, I was fighting back tears. The OOSG will attest to that. And then when I doubted myself, you questioned coming up anyway to drag me through it. I don't care if I've never met you...you, darling, are a friend.

    But I'm right there with you with the RBF invasion. I couldn't have said it better myself. I've got RBFers creeping into my dreams. I find myself wanting to drive to far off places to cheer everyone on in their next race. Aliases are spoken in my every day conversation. Heck, I've got my mom reading your blog!!

    It's nuts.

    Nuts, I tell you!

    But despite the madness. I adore you to bits. And one day...who knows when...but one day, we will push each other through a race.

    :hugs:

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been totally MIA lately, but I have to say I have always looked forward to your insight about running, and life in general. You are able to say exactly what I'm thinking.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How funny that you wrote this...I often feel the same way. It's kind of cool to think that people who might not ever have connected through their "real" lives, have become friends in their virtual lives.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was a great post and a great tribute to some truly great RBFers...it's always interesting to me to see who everyone else thinks is inspirational and to realize that I too think the same thing.

    Sorry I've been super mia as far as checking back in on everyone...I'm back now and have caught up (sortof). You are a talented person, just in a funk of sorts. We've all been there, and it's been other RBFers like you who have gotten us through it. Now is my time to repay the motivation that you gave me so many months ago.

    Thanks for bringing a smile to this virtual friends face!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why Oh Why doesn't anyone visit my blog?

    almost in tears, pat

    Yeah, I know it's a lame attempt to get you to my blog. LOL.

    I do enjoy your blog, as well as, many others and I do thank all of you for giving a lot of inspiration to a new runner just trying to put one foot in front of the other.

    Thanks, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm hugging you right back. You are an inspiration to me all the time. I admire your determination and you are super sweet.
    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are super sweet!

    Yes, I do think we're all one happy RBF and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How true - it's like we "know" these fellow bloggers. There's nothing like the support of the running community to keep you going.

    Thanks for dropping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I feel honored that you "linked" me in your post! How true it is, we tend to feel "close" to other RBFers! I too, have had a couple dreams in the past with other RBFers in them! Kind of crazy!! I sometimes catch myself saying to family or friends things that I have read on all of these wonderful blogs...speaking as if you all are my best friends! Kind of weird! But kind of comforting!

    P.S. I was the author that deleted my previous comment.... I accidently posted it under a different blog name of mine! Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The RBF has been so inspiring to my beginnings. Can't wait to get to know everyone better!

    ReplyDelete