Monday, May 29, 2006

Let the Training Begin

Here's a pic of the new shoes. Aren't they pretty? I think this is the first time I have ever owned a pair of running shoes that I actually like the appearance of! Who comes up with the colors for them anyway? My current pair is Lime green, I mean come on now! Lime Green? Who in their right mind would actually choose to wear lime green foot wear? The running shoe companies should screen their employees for color blindness before allowing them to join the color design team.

I took the shoes for a 2.25 mile spin on the treadmill yesterday and they seemed ok, but I'm withholding my final opinion until I get a few more miles on them. The right shoe feels great. The left arch feels a little funny, but it wasn't rubbing or causing any problems, so it may just be a matter of getting used to the feel of a different shoe. I plan on trying them out on the treadmill for the rest of the week, so we'll see.

Yesterday was my first day back to running and it felt great. It was pretty hard to take it easy and stop after a few miles. I wanted to keep going, but didn't want to over do it! I had decided to take an extended break after the Indy Mini, in hopes that my right knee would be back to its happy, pain free, self with a little rest. But unfortunately, yesterday's run proved that not to be the case. So it looks like I am off to the doctor to have it checked out. The pain is very mild and certainly tolerable, and it really doesn't feel like anything is broken, out of place, torn etc. It simply feels like some inflammation issues, but better safe than sorry. I don't want to keep running on it only to find out that I'm doing major damage that is irreparable. So, I will be calling tomorrow to set up an appointment with my doc.

If something is wrong, I am going to blame the physical therapist who helped me out with my shoulder issues a few years back. I was in his office so often for therapy sessions on my shoulder that we became friends and still keep in touch. The week before my half marathon, he was joking with me that his office would be open the Monday after the race to help out with my injuries. I think he jinxed me! But, even so, if I do need therapy I will be going to him. He's a great therapist. No matter how many times I told him that I hated him, he just gave an evil laugh and increased the intensity on my exercises. You'd think I would have learned, but every session during the awful dreaded arm bike, I told him how mean he was. You think running is hard work? Try the arm bike for 20 minutes! At least if there is a problem with my knee, I don't see how he could make me use that torture devise to help it.

1 comment:

  1. Nice shoes! They look like Asics?!?! I love my new asics. You're right. You don't want to injure yourself to the point of no return, so take it easy! It's hard to do, but it is for the best, right?!

    ReplyDelete