Wednesday, November 8, 2023

Taking it Outside

I did my first outdoor run this morning for this comback attempt! I'm fortunate to live close to both a small park and the canal system. The park isn't large but it does have a dirt path through it that I think would work for a short run. The canal system has a very nice paved recreational track along it that people use for running, walking, and biking. They system is quite extensive and goes for miles and miles. I am within easy walking distance of two branches of it, with one being just a bit closer than the other.

Today I didn't plan on running too far, just a mile-ish, so I opted for the closest branch of the canal. It's a route I'm familiar with as I've walked it often with one of my little goobers. I know the route door to door is a little under 2 miles, so I knew I'd get my mile in along the canal path if I walked to the start of it and then began running. I ended up running 1.29 miles wth the rest as a walking warm up/cool down.

When I started out I felt like I was barely moving, so I picked up my pace. However, I could quickly tell by my breathing that I was running faster than I thought I was. I looked down at my watch and I was running a 10:21 min/mile pace, which I know is waaaay too fast for me! I slowed down a bit and felt much more comfortable. Of course, I forgot to put on my knee braces, but luckily my knees felt fine once I got going.

There were a few other runners out, along with a few walkers and bikers. I really enjoy seeing the other runners, though. I guess it just gives me a sense of comradery and community seeing them. Us runners are a breed all to our own!

I did quickly realize that I need to purchase something new for water and my phone. Years and years ago, I bought a fuel belt since it was the thing back in the day. It served it's purpose but I never really liked it. When I started running again in 2013, I ended up buying a hand held bottle/phone holder that I really liked but phones have gotten larger over the past 10 years and my phone doesn't fit in the pocket. I ended up just tucking it in the waistband of my pants but it wasn't exactly comfortable. I do own a camelbak and I will probably end up trying that if I end up actually getting up into higher miles, but for short runs I need something else. I guess I'm off to see how much running stuff has changed in the last 10 years!

Here is the data from my watch:
(I've started only recordng my actual running time on my watch so my splits are more accurate.)

Temp: 65° F

And a photo along the canal...
And of me near the end of my run...

No comments:

Post a Comment