Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Still in Prep Mode

It's been almost a month since I first posted about considering a come back to running, and in some ways it feels like I've been dragging my feet about getting started, and perhaps I have been.  If I'm being totally honest about it, I have to admit that I'm scared.  I know that this is my last go at running. EVER.  If I can't find a way to run pain and injury free, I'm going to have to let it go for good.  And I really don't think I'm ready to face that possibility.  If I don't start, then I won't ever have to quit.

Yes, ridiculous, but it's where I am right now.

So perhaps I am being overly cautious and spending a ridiculous amount of time preparing to get started, but knowing that this is my last chance, I'm just trying to do everything I can to succeed.  It's like the quote "By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail."  If I don't properly prepare, I feel like I'm guaranteed to fail.  So, I'm sticking to my August Goals like glue as much as possible, and looking for other things I can do to prepare as well.

In that spirit, I've decided to start doing Bikram Yoga again.  I found a really good deal on Groupon for 3 months worth of classes, and I am going to take my first class tonight.  I suspect I'll spend half the class sitting on the floor trying not to vomit, but I know it gets easier with each successive class.  I'm a huge believer in the benefits of yoga for runners.  I suppose Bikram isn't quite the same as other yoga, but something about the challenge of it resonates with me and I feel like it still provides the stretching and flexibility benefits that are the prefect balance to running. My goal is to do yoga 2-3 days a week, so we will see how it goes.

Now, if only our temperatures would drop and I could get back out there and do a little running.  I may be willing to do yoga in a sauna, but I'm not up for running when the temperature is over 100° F.

No comments:

Post a Comment