Friday, April 28, 2006

Last Long Run

Today's run was an uneventful one. I drove out to a park on the other side of town and ran around the golf course and through the paved trails. I waved to other runners, walkers, and cyclists. I dodged flying golf balls. I chased a few squirrels. It was actually quite nice. And I enjoyed the change of scenery.

I ran 8 miles, give or take. My garmin kept loosing it's signal with all the trees. It felt infinitely better than my last 8 mile run. At no point did I feel like I was going to die, and I didn't want to quit. Mostly I just wanted to get it over with so I could get on to other things.

You see. Running is time consuming. I got up at 8:30, ate breakfast and did my pre-run rituals. I drove to the park and ran. I stretched and did my post-run rituals. I drove home. I took a much needed shower, and ate lunch. It is now 1:00. That is 4 1/2 hours of my only "weekend" day this week taken up by running.

I feel like running has taken over my life. Wait. I can't even say that. I don't even feel like I have a life to be take over any more. All I do is eat, sleep, and breathe running.

I've even started dreaming about it.

I used to do things. With real people. That could talk to me. I used to go to my parent's house for dinner almost every Sunday night. I used to have an incredibly sweet boyfriend that I saw on a regular basis. I used to read. A lot. I used to scrapbook. I used to clean my house. I even used to get my hair cut on a regular basis and remember to shave my legs.

But, I no longer do those things.

Since I started training in January, all I have managed to get done are the bare essentials. I pay the bills, buy the groceries, and do the laundry. I only remember to feed the cat because he yells at me if I don't. And I have no idea how my house plants are still alive because they only get watered once they begin to droop.

My mp3 player and my garmin are my two new best friends.

Ibuprofen is running a close third.

I only see my parents when they stop by my house to do some laundry, check their e-mail, or mow my lawn. Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you, for mowing my lawn. My dad is my biggest hero right now. I thought the coming of spring was going to reduce me to tears with the thought of added outside chores, but I haven't mowed my lawn even once thanks to my dad!

I still have the boyfriend, and he is still sweet, but I'm lucky that I even remember what he looks like for as often as I see him.

I need a break. Not from the running, per se. I like the running, but from the schedule. From trying to fit the running into an already too tight schedule and from feeling guilty when I don't.

I am so thankful that today was the last long run before Indy. Next week is total taper, and it is going to be cake. My head is spinning just thinking about all the things I could do with my extra time.

After Indy, I am going to take a much needed break. Re-group, and then start training for Chicago. I know I'll be ready by then. I just need a breather. Plus, I know it will be a little easier now that I'm no longer working that second job.

Sorry for the whining. But quoting a fellow blogger from yesterday, "It's my blog and I'll whine if I want to."

1 comment:

  1. What? You waved to other runners, walkers and cyclist? Don't you know that we don't do that? Runners are snobs. Especially runners with MP3's on. You are ruining our good name by being friendly and I just won't stand for it.

    Ha, Just kidding. Have fun with taper week. And take your honey out for a past dinner.

    ReplyDelete