Wednesday, March 7, 2007

To Wait, or Not To Wait

That is the question.

I do my long runs on Thursdays, and take Friday as an off day because of my work schedule.

This week my "long run" is only 5 miles. That doesn't sound like much of a long run, but it'll be more consecutive miles than I have run in months. I'm actually really looking forward to it, even though I know it's going to kick my butt and take my name. says that it is supposed to be 35 degrees on Thursday and 46 degrees on Friday. Do I wait until Friday to run and see if we actually get the warmer temp they are predicting, or do I assume that they weathermen are being big fat liars again and just run on Thursday like I usually do?

I'd love to get back outside for a run, but I'm going to be very disappointed if I wait, only to find out that the weather is still cold!

Tonight's run was 3 miles. I was making up the miles that I missed on the first day of my training schedule last week.


I am going to try really hard not to miss any miles this go round. If I don't do the miles, I'm not going to get any faster!

And I want to get faster, darn it!

Not much, just enough to PR in my race, even if it's only by a second or two I'll be happy!


  1. i don't see any harm in waiting a day. just be prepared on friday for crap weather, in case the forecast is wrong.

    or you could see just tough it out outside on thursday. sometimes i like to try running in "adverse" weather just to see if i can do it...(although adverse for me usually means just rain or humidity)

  2. I am doing the same thing this week, though not for weather...planning to move my long run to Sunday since a group will be running. For me, it is actually supposed to be a few degrees colder, but I want to try.

    I think it's ok to tweak our schedules, life happens.

    PS--5 miles seems pretty long to me! GL!

  3. If it's nice enough, which I think it would be if it is above freezing, I would just go out there and get it done tonight! You never know what could happen over night! Especially this time of year... all hell could break loose!

  4. You know what, i do the same thing sometimes in the winter: take a day off hoping the next day will be better weather.. I find that keeps me lazy and sometimes, life will get in the way .. so, i say go out there if you know you have time.. you won't regret it..

  5. I would wait one day but promise yourself you will go Friday no matter what!

  6. Get 'er done! Go for it! No sense waiting!