Friday, March 3, 2006

Please Give Blood

As I am learning more about blood cancers, I have been amazed at the number of blood transfusions the patients need. So, in my attempts to do whatever I can to help Matthew, and all the other kids, my mom and I went to our local Red Cross and donated blood this morning. I hope that some of you will follow in our foot steps. It only takes an hour of your time and it can literally save someone's life.....maybe even your own. Plus they give you free pop, juice, cookies, and donuts. Yummy!

For anyone who's ever been curious, here's a short lesson on blood types: Ok, I'm digging deep here. It's been years since I learned this! And I'm massively over simplifying, but..... there are basically 8 main blood types: A+, A-, B+, B-, AB+, AB-, O+, O-. "O" and "-" are considered to be "neutral" meaning they can be given to anyone without harm. But, "A", "B", and "+" can only be added into blood that already has them present. For example if you have an A blood type, you can't add B into the system. Does that make sense to anyone other than me? So....

If you are blood type A+, you can receive donations of types A+, A-, O+, O-.
If you are blood type A-, you can receive donations of types A-, O-
If you are blood type B+, you can receive donations of types B+, B-, O+, O-
If you are blood type B-, you can receive donations of types B-, O-
If you are blood type AB+, you can receive donations of any blood type (aka universal recipient)
If you are blood type AB-, you can receive donation of types A-,B-, AB-, O-
If you are blood type O+, you can receive donation of types O+, O-
If you are blood type O-, you can receive donations of types O- (aka universal donor)

Confused yet? The point is that we need EVERYONE to give blood, because your blood type is needed to help someone else who is suffering and needs a blood transfusion. I added a link to the right. Just click on it and type in your zip code and it tells you where you can donate in your area. You can even set up an appointment online.

Today is supposed to be a long run. It may have to wait until tomorrow. They say no lifting or exercise for 6 hours after giving blood, which would mean by 6:00 I can run. But, I honestly feel pretty tired. I can't imagine how tired the kids feel who need the blood donated to them! I think I'm going to try a little nap and see how I feel when I get back up. Fundraising: $225 donated - thanks Amy, Greg, Brandon, Janie, and Beta Sigma Phi Preceptor Gamma Chapter!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks from Matthew and me! You and your Mom have helped so many people by donating blood!

    Keep up the good work on your training!

    Nancy and Matthew

    ReplyDelete