Monday, October 9, 2023

Dipping My Toes In

As I've been clawing my way out of the post-divorce haze, one of the things I have done is participate in some StepBet games. If you aren't familiar, it's an app where you meet daily step goals. The app calculates your goals based on your history and you meet them every week for six weeks. You pay to join and if you make it to the end having met all your goals, you get your money back plus a little extra. No one's going to get rich doing it by any means, but for me, not losing my money is the motivation I need to keep moving.

I've been using the games as a starting point to drag my butt off the couch and back into the world of moving, functioning individuals. I've been doing nothing but the bare minimum to meet my daily goals but that is a major improvement from where I have been the past several months. I don't have a super active job so I don't get a ton of steps organically throughout the day. Sometimes I get to the end of the day and still have a lot of steps left to get.

Fortunately, I have a treadmill and it's been easy to hop on there and get my steps in. But lately I have just wanted to get my steps in as quickly as possible and get on to other things. So, in order to speed up the process, I have started running (and I use that term very loosely) in the middle of my walks so I can got done faster.

I'm not sure I should really be calling what I am doing running. I'm averaging a 16-17 minute/mile pace, but whatever. The good news is I can easily maintain that pace for 10-15 minutes. I end up slowing down because I've met my step goal and I'm ready to finish up, not because I can't keep going. So, I'm feeling pretty good about that. Especially because I've been fighting a cold for the past 3 weeks and I still don't feel 100%.

I have to say that it feels A-MA-ZING to be dipping my toes back into running. I honestly feel better than I have in years. I can acually feel little bits of my soul waking up and coming back to life.

There just may be something to this comeback after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment