Friday, March 13, 2020

Total Bummer

The 5K that I was signed up to run on March 22nd was canceled due to COVID-19 and switched to a virtual race.

Boo. Hiss.

I'm super bummed! I completely understand, and I agree with the decision. I was just really looking forward to running my first actual race in 13 years! Also, I really have no interest in running a third virtual race this spring, as I've already ran one and have signed up for another. I would have much preferred a refund but from what I can tell that isn't an option.

Oh well, what can you do?!

I guess I'll lace up my shoes and hit the roads again for another virtual race next Sunday.  This one will be different in that it is the only one where I will be running at the same time as other runners.  The other two virtual races are ones that you run whenever you want to run it within a time frame, so I guess that's something.

In Other News:

I decided to discontinue my personal training.  I originally signed up simply for the accountability to get my butt in the door.  I wasn't loving how the training is approached at this gym, but since it had been serving it's purpose I have continued with it.  However, my current trainer altered his schedule and I was looking at either going at a time that isn't a good long-term fit with my schedule or else starting over with another new trainer, the third since I started.  I wasn't really up for either option so I decided to cancel.

Of course, you pay way in advance and have to give 30 days notice to cancel so I still have another 5-6 weeks of training sessions left.  So, now I'm left with the dilemma of deciding if I continue with the sessions until they are used up or do I bail on the gym as recommended because of this darn coronavirus?  The sessions don't expire, so the smart thing to do is to put the session on hold for a while but my personality says to use them all up and get my money's worth now because you just never know.

To be honest, I'm not as concerned about getting the coronavirus from the gym as I am about passing it on.  Because of my occupation, I am pretty much guaranteed to get it.  I literally have people breathing on my hands for 8 hours a day, not to mention how close my face is to theirs.  No matter how careful I am about using hand sanitizer and washing my hands, it is inevitable that I am going to unconsciously touch my face and contaminate myself or simply get it from breathing in the same air space as someone who has it. Since it takes up to 14 days to show symptoms, I'm concerned about not knowing I am infected and perpetuating the spread of it.

I've really been giving a lot of thought to more or less imposing a self-quarantine, and only going to work and for food and other necessities.  I can't stand the thought that I could unknowingly cause the death of someone by passing on COVID-19 before I was aware that I had it.  These are some really strange times with some very tough decisions we all have to make, and the view points range from one extreme to the other.  Thus far my take has been: I'm going to stock up like crazy and hoard all the things so I can try not to leave my house in the thick of it and cause any unnecessary deaths.

It's going to be an experience watching this entire thing unfold in the coming months, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment