Sunday, March 15, 2020

Weekly Workout Recap: 3/9/2020 - 3/15/2020

I made it one of my 2020 New Year's Goals to close all of my Apple Watch Rings every day in January.  I was successful and decided to continue the goal into February.  I managed to make it though the second month without missing a day, and I'm still going strong.

(For anyone not familiar with the Apple Watch Rings, they are Move, Exercise, and Stand. For the Move ring, you have to burn a certain number of calories a day. For the Exercise ring, you have to do 30 minutes of movement a day. For the Stand ring, you have to move for 1 minute out of every hour for 12 hours a day.)

I manage to close my Move and Stand rings without too much major effort.  However, I do have to work to ensure that I get my 30 minutes of movement in every day for the Exercise ring.  It may not always be the most strenuous or ambitious of workouts, but something is better than nothing and the goal keeps me focused on my health and exercise daily.

Here is a rundown of this week's Workouts:

Monday
Leg Day with my Personal Trainer

One of the things that I have really struggled with in terms of the personal training at my gym is the way the workouts are handled.  Basically, each body part is worked out in a rotating cycle at each weekly appointment.  So, approximately every 5-6 weeks a body part is repeated but the workout is never the same.  It is impossible for me to actually gauge my improvement because I'm never doing the same exercises.  I don't think the trainer really has a good gauge on my improvement, or lack there of, either because it constantly feels like the workouts are either way too hard or too easy.

This one was way too hard and it took until Friday before I could even walk normally again.  I was so sore that it hurt to try to move to get comfortable to sleep and I had to use my hands to get up from a seated position.  So, even though it was not my plan nor my intent for the week, I ended up not running at all because I was so sore.

Tuesday
Stretching

Since I could barely move from Monday's Leg Day, I wasn't up for much in the way of a strenuous workout.  I was relying on the rest of my body to help me function and I wasn't about to make moving any harder than it already was so I opted for 30 minutes of nice easy stretching.

Wednesday
Aaptiv "The Gun Show" Arm Workout

I was feeling a bit lazy after Tuesday's stretching so I decided I needed to put forth a little more effort today.  I have a membership to the Aaptiv App, and I've found a few workouts on there that I really like.  This is one of them, and I opted to do it today.  I just went a little easier on the weights so I wasn't overly sore since my legs were still pretty miserable.

Thursday
Yin Yoga

I also have a really awesome Yin Yoga App that I use pretty often, and opted for some leg poses, hoping they'd help the soreness.

Friday
Total Body with my Personal Trainer

I had two training session this week since I missed one a few weeks ago.  I have to admit that this workout was pretty miserable.  It was a sequence of 7 exercise that work your entire body - only several of them were way above my current ability.  So, I could feel myself straining and using the wrong muscles to compensate since the muscles I was supposed to be using were too weak to handle the workout.  But at least I didn't end up overly sore, so that's something!

Saturday
Hiking

On Saturday afternoon, I took two of my dogs for a hike with some friends.  The hike was pretty flat and easy, so not much in the way of a strenuous workout but it was really nice to get outside and absorb some nature.

Here's a photo of my two hooligans enjoying the walk.  One of them so much so that she wouldn't look at the camera...



And one of the gorgeous view on the hike...



I've lived in Arizona long enough that I forget that most of the country is still in the middle of winter this time of the year.  Our temperatures have been in the 70's for quite a while now and we've even had a handful of days in the 80's.  This is definitely the time of year to live here, and I've been trying to enjoy it while I can!

Sunday
Aaptiv "The Gun Show" Arm Workout

I opted to repeat the same workout as Wednesday since I really do like this one.

Overall not a bad week, but I was bummed that I was too sore to get any runs in this week.  Granted, I could have gone for a run today but I think I had a case of the lazy Sundays.  I was trying to get caught up on random life stuff and just never found the motivation to leave the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment