Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Things That Make You Go Hmm...

I managed to reclaim 4 of my neglected miles from earlier in the week, which leaves only 1 more to go and I'll be back on track.

Go me!

Tonight's run was 4 boring miles on the treadmill, where I tried out the orthotics again. At least for the first 2 miles. Then I had to stop and change shoes. My knee felt great while I was wearing them, and immediately starting bothering me when I wasn't. BUT... my feet hurt with them and I could tell I was getting blisters, and it was instant relief once I took them off. The good new is my feet didn't want to cramp up and my legs don't feel achey like last night. So, I'm considering that progress.

I was amazed by how quickly the run went.

Not because I am speedy or anything.

The run actually took an hour.

Yeah, an hour to go 4 miles.

Go me.

or not!

The run went by quickly because I was watching the movie "Forrest Gump" while I was running, and I think watching Forrest do all that running must have had me in the running mind set.

On a separate note:

I've come to the conclusion that there is something wrong with my treadmill.

I've been paying more attention to my splits lately, and I usually run 10:30 to 11:30 minute miles as an average when I'm outside with my Garmin. Probably a little slower if it's a long run, more like 11:15 to 12:30.

When I run on the treadmill at the gym, I usually can average about a 10:00 to 11:00 minute mile as long as I'm not going more than 3 or 4 miles.

But...

When I run on my treadmill at home I usually average 15 minute miles. And my exertion level honestly feels harder than when I am at the gym or out on the road.

Hmm.

Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

I've decided that something is off with the calibration. So a few weeks ago I dug out the instructions and opened it up and tried to fix it, but apparently I wasn't successful. Which actually doesn't surprise me because I couldn't make the parts inside line up like the picture showed. It just wasn't physically possible.

It may be because the treadmill is old, like maybe 9 years old.

And it may be because it has been moved five times, including two cross country trips, and a trip up and then back down a set of stairs.

But the thought of spending that much money to buy a new one makes me want to cry.

So for now, I'll continue my slow plodding runs on my inaccurate treadmill and hope that the mileage is at least kinda close.

I'll just look at it as the same was as I do when my Garmin looses it's signal and I just have to estimate the distance.

Oh well. Life will go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment