Sunday, July 2, 2006

A Get 'R Done Run

You know what I mean.

One of those runs, that you aren't really into.

Where you just want to cover the miles and get it over with as soon as possible. And get on with your day.

Yeah, today was one of those.

I thought today's run was supposed to be 4 miles, but was thrilled when I realized it was only 3!

But, I knew I was in for a long run when I looked at the thermometer at 6:45 am, and it read 76 degrees. Yuck.

I dressed in the bare minimum, and laced up my shoes and headed out before I could change my mind.

I felt pretty slow and sluggish for most of the run, and really didn't loosen up until the end. It was pretty hot out, but there was quite a breeze blowing so that helped a little.

I ran an out and back course and felt like I was running into the wind both directions. Someone please explain to me how that is possible!

Here are the splits:

Mile 1 11:27
Mile 2 11:31
Mile 3 10:15

Is anyone else starting to sense a pattern here? My last mile seems to always be my fastest.

At the end of every run when I start to get tired, I tell myself to imagine that I am about to cross the finish line of my next big race. So, I need to keep it up and give it my all because that's what I'd do at a race. It must be working!

I finished my run and came into stretch. I wasn't inside for 5 minutes and it started to down pour, complete with thunder and lightning. It came out of no where. It was cloudy out during the run, but nothing suggesting that it was about to let loose like that.

Guess it is a good thing I got the run in when I did, but I'm not quite sure what this means for our day at the lake.

Maybe it'll stop.

Or maybe I'm just delusional.

12 comments:

  1. I run fast in the last bit cause I usually have to 1) dirnk some water 2) go to the washroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job! I have many runs that I just want to get done! And, I think it is awesome to finish on a high note with a fast split.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had one of those runs today... except mine was supposed to be 4 and I only got in 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visualizing the finish line is a GREAT technique to keep you motivated. Keep up the good work.

    Stay tuned...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...I feel like most of my runs are like that. I just want to be done with it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're not the only one who runs the last mile the quickest. I do the same thing - pretend that I am coming up on some big finish line, and I put everything I have left into a final kick. (Okay, it's not always much of a kick; sometimes it's more of a rapid stagger than anything).

    It's great practice for the real thing; teaching you how to finish a big race with a strong, steady stride and a big grin on your face.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gte the run over with and get onto the endorphines? And you think your delusinonal? Just normal I reckon. Good on you for getting it done and into your marathon bank!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your last mile might be your fastes because your body is warming up to the runs by that time. My miles always get progressively faster until I find the right rythym and then they level off.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey, there's nothing wrong with reverse splits!! Doing great!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I could pull off a faster time on my last mile. It'll never happen.

    The heat on Sunday was horrible. Actually running into the wind for once didn't piss me off. I will take any breeze even a hot one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good job pushing through the 3!! I am having the same problem. If it isn't swimming, it isn't worth doing. But we must if we are to cross that finish line!! Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. All my workout lately have been of the just get it done type.

    Great job getting it done.

    ReplyDelete