Sunday, July 9, 2006

Happy Birthday, Mom!


Today is my mom's birthday. I won't disclose which birthday, as I want her to remain talking to me, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM!

I have the best mom in the world! She has spent her life giving me everything I have ever needed, and asking very little from me in return.

When I was a very small child she took care of me, as all parents do. She wiped my tears, and bandaged my boo-boos, and chased away the boogie man.

As I grew up, she taught me the difference between right and wrong, dished out punishment when I deserved it (as I often did!), and instilled in me a confidence that I was always loved no matter what.

As an unruly teenager, she fought battle after battle with me, as I tested the boundaries and tried to break free of the parental constraints. She allowed me to be sassy, when I probably deserved a slap across the face, and let me question and challenge every rule.

You see, my house was never ruled with an iron fist. I was given sound reasons behind the rules, and allowed to protest and negotiate when I found them unfair. And I have always respected her, and my dad, for that.

When some boy broke my heart, it was my mother who I would turn to at 2 AM, sobbing uncontrollably. It was her who reminded me that I was a good person, and if the boy couldn't see it, then he wasn't worth my time.

And when I was off at college, freaking out at the start of every semester, it was my mother who reminded me that I was strong. That I could, and would make it through those classes, just like I had made it through every class before that.

As an adult, my mother has become my best friend. She is my sounding board for thoughts and ideas. She offers advise when asked, but allows me to live my own life. And make my own mistakes.

My mother gave me the 2 ultimate gifts that any mother can give her child: roots and wings.

She allowed me to fly.

She instilled in me a confidence that allowed me to believe that I could accomplish anything. And left me with little fear of change or the unknown. And I have lead a life of satisfaction because of it.

When I bolted out the door, at age 17, just a few short hours after my high school graduation, to start college a semester before everyone else, she let me go. I'm sure she didn't want to, but she did. And I never saw a tear.

When I moved across the country, at age 21, with barely a backward glance, she once again let me go without comment. And cried her tears some place that I wouldn't see them.

And when I decided that living so far away wasn't for me, she showed me that I had roots to come home to, and welcomed me back with open arms.

With all of life's ups and downs, my mom has always been my rock. The never changing, unending source of love and support that I could turn to no matter what.

Thanks for everything, Mom! Happy Birthday to the best mother in the world!

9 comments:

  1. Awww! That's so sweet! Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was a beautiful post and what a great mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an incredible post. Your mom is awfully lucky to have you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. very sweet!!

    Happy Birthday to your Mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely tribute. I'm sure your mom liked it too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post! Mom's and daughters have such a special relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fabulous post! Happy Birthday to your Mom!

    ReplyDelete