Sunday, July 16, 2006

The Best Laid Plans...

Always seem to backfire in my face!

So, I'm in the process of working on my landscaping - adding a few bushes, removing a few others, re-edging it, adding some stones, mulch etc.

With this heat wave, there are about 3 hours of tolerable working time - from 6:00 AM - 8:00 AM and from 9:00 PM - 10:00 PM. It starts getting a little too dark to work on the landscaping in the evening, so I've been trying to work on it in 2 hour increments first thing in the morning.

Meaning that I've been trying to run in the evening. Today's schedule called for 3 miles.

Ok, great. No problem, right?

The plan was to run them at 9:00 PM, ouside if it was tolerable, or on the treadmill if it was still thick as soup out there.

At 8:38 PM my electricty went out. For no apparent reason. Me and 5 of my neighbors lost power, and that's it. Aren't we the lucky ones?

Obviously, there went the running on the treadmill.

I briefly thought about running outside, but quickly dropped that idea. No electricity means no water. No water means no shower. I wasn't really up for a 3 mile run in 85 degree weather that was going to leave me dripping in sweat with no way to take a shower, and no idea if the electricty was going to be back on before work in the morning.

Luckily, my boyfriend took pity on my and let me come stay at his house. So, now I am at least guaranteed a morning shower before work.

But, now I have to run tomorrow.

The day that I work 10 1/2 hours.

The day where I usually come home too tired to bother with dinner.

The day where my only goal for the evening is to stay awake until 8:30 because then I know I will sleep until morning. If I try going to sleep any earlier, I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep.

Why? Oh why? do these things always happen to me?

12 comments:

  1. Oh no! That's Murphy's Law for ya. Bummer! Yayyy for the sweet boyfriend for letting you stay at his place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sucks. but you now you can't say you didn't run cuz you didn't feel like it--you got an ironclad excuse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh the length's boyfriends will go for their sig.others.

    "oh, i guess it's ok. you can stay with me, but only this one time.." wink,wink...nudge, nudge...know what i mean.

    Bummer on the run, more miles to pull out of the abyss.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh i know that tired feeling it usually happens on monday evenings for me as well, i'm acutally home for lunch and wish i could take a nap instead of go back to work!

    hope you get your run in regardless, if not...you'll make it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you had run outside and returned home (without power) to shower, you would've still gotten a cold shower, right? Last fall, after hurricane Wilma, we didn't have electricity for two weeks, and we still could shower, they were just cold showers. So that provided some motivation for me to run before showers -- they were refreshing then.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess, Your system must work differently then ours does some how. If we have no power, we literally have no water. Can't flush the toilets (nasty!) and can't take a shower, use the sinks, etc. I would have gladly settled for a cold shower with as hot as it is. I've actually been taking a lot of cold showers after my runs recently!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I HATE YARDWORK!!! Can't say it enough, babe! But I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope today was a better day for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was thinking the same thing about the shower...I got home from a run recently to find the power out in my area (thankfully I had taken my key with me, sometimes I don't cause I can go in through the garage) and I was still able to shower...it was just in the dark...and wasn't even that cold as there was enough hot water still stored. Weird to have no water just cause no power!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you had a bona fide excuse to not do your run. Don't sweat it honey (pardon the pun). Just stay cool (literally).

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sucks but at least you had a place to go.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - isn't that how things tend to go sometimes? I hope you manage to get in your run after your LONG day at work. Ugh! Sounds brutal.

    ReplyDelete